This article was sourced from 9news.com.au
Alex Belyi said he heard the screams before he felt the pain.
But within seconds, he realised he was one of the victims.
“I couldn’t move any of my arms or legs,” he said.
The Uber delivery rider was left floored on the footpath after being flattened by a B-Double truck at a Southbank intersection at 7pm on May 6.
His pelvis and organs were crushed, his limbs were broken and his skin was torn.
“I just feel a huge force smashing me to the ground,” he said.
The 26-year-old was one hour into his shift, and his customer was right across the road, when suddenly, he and four pedestrians were struck from behind.
“The first thing I was thinking of was I need to deliver the food to my customer. The first thing.”
He lost consciousness as witnesses – including an off-duty doctor – lifted a traffic light pole from broken bodies.
He was the most critically injured.
“The next thing I remember I was in hospital … in ICU,” he said.
The Ukranian had already spent nine days in a coma at that point, and went on to spend another three months in The Alfred’s intensive care unit then two months in rehab, only returning home last month.
Parts of his stomach were removed and he still lives with nerve damage in his right arm and foot.
“I thought, I am not going to walk ever again.”
However, a strong-willed Mr Belyi is now determined to get back on his bike.
“I was just thinking forward (but) and I was saying this is nothing, just keep moving forward.”
“I am just strong-minded and will keep myself going.”
A 64-year-old man is on bail after being charged with two counts of dangerous driving. The driver says he didn’t know he had struck the group.
Concrete barriers and signage have been installed at the intersection since the crash, but soon it will undergo a $4 million overhaul.
Lanes will be reduced, the footpath will be widened and the pedestrian crossing will be moved away from the traffic lights.
Hundreds of strangers contributed to a $13,000 fundraised to support Alex’s recovery.